Monday, October 30, 2017

Journal Entry - 10/30/17

So, I watched a chick flick, Safe Haven, yesterday while the family was enjoying Fall Family Fun Night at church. I thought it would be a good time to enjoy a sappy Nicholas Sparks movie, right? The main premise was a girl getting away from an abusive husband, but the unexpected angle of the movie that rocked me was that the guy she fell in love with lost his wife to cancer years before. The wife had written lots of letters before she died--for her kids mostly on those big things in life... their 18th birthday, wedding day, etc. The emotion of all that didn't hit me until the very end of the movie when the man gives a letter to the new girl he loves addressed 'To Her,' which was a letter his wife had left for the girl her husband would go on to love. I bawled. It was so well written and said would I would love to have the courage to say myself, but...

I DON'T WANT TO WRITE LETTERS LIKE THOSE. I want to be with my kids on those big events and milestones. I want my love to grow old with Brian. And that is why I am going through all of this.

Not everyone gets a chance to fight. Like the mom in this movie. Like those shot in Las Vegas or who are fatally injured in a car accident, or in so many ways that we lose our loved ones. Lots of pain and nausea and sickness for me to wade through, but I get a HOPE to be here with my family and watch my kids grow up, to help Brian pick paint colors for our new house, and write a graduate school reference letter for one of my amazing students.

Thank you, Lord, for HOPE. Thank you for the purpose you have given me and that I have a reason for the HOPE that is within. It gives me the will to endure, to suck it up, to keep going, and to keep moving forward (a line from Meet the Robinson's--one of my favs--and much more uplifting than Safe Haven!!!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment