Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Nitty Gritty


It's all good to focus on the positive and just report the wonderful things, but there is also a reality that is not so fortunate... it is cancer after all. I feel like I have finally come to grips with what the Tumor Board's decision for my treatment will be and understand it enough to report out.

Surgery recovery is going well... doctors are all positive about how things are healing up. I did develop a seroma (pocket of fluid, apparently common when lymph nodes get removed) in my left armpit area that was super uncomfortable (it felt like an egg under my arm). I was able to stay local to get that drained yesterday (40cc's of fluid!) and it was almost instant relief. Hopefully it will not refill... once created, the body can just see that as a place to collect fluid. I covet your prayers for that and for continued healing and comfort in regards to the surgical healing overall. I would love to be off of pain meds before I start back on anti-nausea meds...

While we were originally encouraged that only 1% of the cells in the tumor from the removed breast tissue were cancerous, it is now known that the remaining 1% is the 'worst' kind of breast cancer cells--called 'triple negative.' Originally, my cancer was hormone positive and HER2 negative, which means is was aggressive (the HER2- piece), but that it would respond well to hormone therapies and such. From breastcancer.org, the triple negative breast cancer (1) is often more aggressive than other types and (2) isn’t a good candidate for treatments such as hormonal therapy and Herceptin. But it can be treated with chemotherapy and radiation therapy, so that is what is on the schedule for me next. Still very thankful that pre-surgery chemo was very effective, but DARN THAT 1%!!!

I start chemo again on Nov 14, with a weekly schedule of Taxol cocktail-ed with 4 doses of Carboplatin each 21 days, for 12 weeks. I will have a port put in early on the 14th so I don't have to be poked with the IV each week and ruin all my veins with that nasty stuff and all the blood draws each week, and that port will stay in me until I'm done with chemo treatments. After chemo, I will be getting radiation, which my oncologist will refer me to the radiation dr to set up, but said it's usually 30 treatments within a 6 week period (read: each weekday for 6 weeks, yikes!). The good news is that my doctor is still talking 'cure' and not just subdue. 

So... we will continue. I never really felt right calling this a 'fight' before (all the 'warrior' and 'fight like a girl' things), but now I get it. I'm in a war against cancer for my life, and this daily battle to trust God with this, to willingly go in and get stuck with needles and inject (what seems like) poison into my veins, and to face the illness and pain that come with all of the procedures and medicine--these are battles I must face. Isaiah 12:2 was an encouragement today from a friend that puts to words what my heart is feeling:

Image result for isaiah 12:2

Where HOPE reigns,


5 comments:

  1. Praying...Praying...PRAYING for your well-fought fight, my dear friend. God bless and be with you now and always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for - and wishing I was hugging - you, Kirsten! I and my whole family love you SO MUCH and we talk, think, and pray for you every day! Strength to you for your "battle". Go get it, "Warrior"!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kirsten for the update beautifully written. I pray for continued relief of pain and that this cancer will go away very very soon love you honey I pray for every day can bless you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kirsten for your transparency along your journey. It helps us know how to pray specifically. God is our only hope and our strength comes from Him alone. He has this all figured out. My prayer is for comfort and complete healing and that along the way you have a chance to speak the truth to others that don't know Him! Love to you and prayers for your whole family❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending all my love, dear friend. Praying, and wondering at the mystery of God who gives you such powerful hopeful courageous honesty in the midst of this fight for your life. I selfishly wish I could FIX this for you. Lord God, we cry out to you for mercy for the life of our sister!!!

    ReplyDelete